Sheriff says one of the three missing people from a Colorado wildfire has been accounted for. One person is still unaccounted for, while another remains in critical condition
On Thursday, the Marshall Fire raged across Boulder County, destroying homes and charring over 6,000 acres. Superior, approximately 24 miles northwest of Denver, was where the missing individual was discovered.
“We’re still looking for a lady from Superior and a male from the Marshall area. The hunt for the individuals is still ongoing “Sunday, Pelle said.
Officials have said that no fatalities have been recorded as a consequence of the incident.
The cause of the fire is still being investigated, but Pelle said a search warrant was performed at a private residence.
Pelle said that they are aware of a viral video showing a burning shed in the region where the blaze started.
“We don’t know if that shed or anything around it was the primary or secondary cause of the fire,” Pelle added.
Authorities have talked to persons regarding the incident, according to Pelle.
“We’ve spoken to people,” Pelle added, “and I’m not going to go into the inquiry.”
In a press conference Thursday afternoon, Louisville Police Chief David Hayes said a man was detained for threatening firefighters who were working during the wildfire in Boulder County.
“A person armed with an assault weapon had threatened the firemen in the neighborhood,” Hayes said. “A lot of police arrived, including Louisville cops, Boulder sheriff’s deputies, and I’m sure others, and we were able to securely arrest that guy.”
“A few of weapons” were discovered, according to the chief.
Hayes was stumped as to why the individual was threatening the firemen. He also couldn’t say if the guy lived in the neighborhood.
“I believe (he) was simply probably furious and irritated as a lot of people are, but that’s not, obviously, the way to do it,” the chief replied when asked whether the guy was attempting to defend his property.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) assists fire victims.
Two fires broke out on Thursday morning, one of which was the Marshall Fire. Its flames rushed through drought-stricken country, racing “down a football field in a matter of seconds,” according to Gov. Jared Polis, who spoke at a press conference on Thursday.
The Middle Fork Fire, on the other hand, was swiftly tackled and “lay down,” according to Pelle.
The Marshall Fire afflicted regions have received around 8 inches of snow since then, dousing the flames but leaving many homeless and freezing. In Boulder County, the fire has burned roughly 1,000 houses.
According to FEMA administrator Deanne Criswell, some 100 people from the Federal Emergency Management Agency have been dispatched to help victims of the Marshall Fire.
FEMA employees would be at the disaster assistance center “beginning today” to register those requesting additional help for expenditures not covered by homeowner’s insurance, according to Criswell, who examined fire damage with Polis on Sunday morning before speaking to media.
After the press conference on Sunday, Criswell told CNN’s Fredricka Whitfield that federal teams are working with state and local authorities to remove debris and build a housing solution for urgent and long-term needs.
“Some folks are still staying in state-run shelters, while others are staying with family and friends,” Criswell said. “We’re going to work closely with the state to see what we can do with our non-congregate sheltering program, which is part of the disaster declaration, as well as other tools in our toolbox to look at what long-term options we have to meet the specific needs of these communities,” says the governor.
Last week, President Joe Biden signed an emergency disaster declaration, and on Saturday, he signed a major disaster declaration. According to the major disaster designation, federal aid is now available to Boulder County residents, including grants for temporary housing and house repairs, as well as low-interest loans to replace uninsured damages.
A lot of households in the fire zone region are still without power.
“We have around a thousand customers who are still without power inside the burn zone,” said Alice Jackson, president of Xcel Energy-Colorado.
She said that the repair procedure is still continuing.
This story was co-written by Christina Maxouris, Natasha Chen, Dakin Andone, and Alaa Elassar of CNN.